How to Install and Setup a VPN on Your Mac
A VPN application is used for browsing the Internet anonymously, and to enhances your internet browsing experience by unblocking content and increasing overall speed. It hides your internet protocol address, which prevents your internet providers from tracking your online activity. You can even access the geo-restricted content on your Mac. So overall, installing and setting up a VPN on your Mac can be beneficial for you, especially when you are a superuser or a technology enthusiast.
It is easier to setup a VPN service on a Mac than you think. Today we will tell you how to setup one for your Mac. Let's get started.
First Step: Decide a VPN Service
We'll have to select a VPN service, in order to use it because there are various VPN services on the internet which makes harder to choose the best one. Mostly you will find the same locations and features in VPNs. Every premium Virtual Private Network provides normal functions such as encryption protocols, performance, speed and locations. Yes, you will see certain features different from other VPN services. Below are some important things which will help you in selecting a VPN for your Mac.
- Internet Surfing Privacy: Every VPN is designed to protect and hide your privacy. While choosing a VPN, check their functions such as VPN data logging policies, the limit of allowable connections, encryption protocols (Open works better), torrenting support, service level, browser extensions, and VPN provider's jurisdiction.
- Media Streaming Support: Most of the VPN services claim they can unlock content like Netflix, Amazon Prime and more. Many of the companies are offering a money-back guarantee if their service failed to satisfy you.
- Torrents Sites Allowable: Most of the VPN brands claims to unlock all torrents sites, but they actually fail to open such content in many countries. Check if they are really providing the best service for torrenting.
Setting Up a VPN Using Your Mac's Inbuilt VPN Feature
Do you know your Mac has a VPN setup feature in it? To setup VPN on your Mac using the preinstalled feature, follow the tutorial given below:
- Navigate to the Apple icon on the top-left of your screen and tap System Preferences.
- Now select Network.
- Navigate to the '+' button at the bottom-right of your display.
- Tap at the "Interface" option and then select VPN from the list.
- Select VPN type from the drop-down. For instance, we will choose the L2PT.
- Now provide a service name for your connection (You can enter anything you want).
- Hit the Create button.
- Type Service Address and the Account Name, sometimes you will find them asking for a username instead of the Account Name.
- Hit the 'Authentication Settings' option to move further.
- Now type your Password and then Shared secret in their respective locations.
- Click the OK button.
- Now tap the 'Apply' button and then hit the Connect button.
- Finally, you got connected to your VPN successfully and from now you'll be able to browse privately and safely.
- To disconnect from the VPN connection, press the Disconnect button on the same tab.
Bella Williams, an employee currently living in USA and working at a top email service provider company in the day, and a technical writer at night. I am passionate about writing troubleshooting tips, beginner’s guides, news and other articles on varied topics like HP Printer Support, Panasonic Printer Support, Lexmark Printer Support etc.